- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, diced
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice blend
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 1 minute less than package directs. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water then drain pasta.
In a large, deep skillet heat olive oil over high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until it begins to brown. Add onions and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the Cajun seasoning and flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer. Gradually and carefully whisk in the milk. Whisk until sauce is thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
Add the cooked pasta and cheese to the skillet, tossing to combine. Add pasta water to thin sauce if necessary. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 1 minute.