- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (12 ounces) milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (4 ounces) whole spelt flour OR 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup (2 1/8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a muffin pan or popover pan thoroughly with vegetable oil or non-stick spray. Be sure to grease around the top of the cups as well.
Place all the ingredients in a blender in the order indicated. Blend for 30 seconds, stopping halfway through to scrape down the sides. Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
Alternatively, if you don't have a blender, whisk together the eggs, milk, flours, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture through a strainer, and press out any lumps. Whisk in the herbs, and set aside the batter to rest.
Batter can be made up to 1 day ahead of time. Grains will benefit from an overnight soak.
When ready to bake, fill muffin tin or popover pan cups with batter about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 10 minutes. Don't open the oven door anytime during baking. Allow popovers to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then gently turn them out of the pan to cool on a rack. Serve warm.