- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 medium organic Granny Smith apples
- 12 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Toppings as desired (nuts, candy, sprinkles)
In a small heavy saucepan set over medium heat melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt and bring to a boil. Add in the cream and spices if using and cook until a candy thermometer or instant read thermometer registers 250°F. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring between each burst, until melted and smooth.
Using a melon baller, scoop out balls from each apple. Place a candy stick into the center of each ball. Dip into the chocolate, coating evenly. Let the excess drip before placing on a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
Dip the apples into the warm caramel, letting the excess drip before rolling in any desired toppings and placing back on the lined baking sheet. Let cool and set completely before serving. Apples that are completely coated can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 day before serving, though they are best served sooner rather than later.