- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Crusty bread, for serving
In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, garlic, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and break into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook until brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Stir in tomato paste, chicken broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Uncover pot and add shrimp, basil, and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, until shrimp is pink and just cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and discard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls with crusty bread.