- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with foil and spray generously with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the maple syrup in a deep small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until warmed. Microwave for 15 seconds longer if using refrigerated maple syrup. Whisk in the cocoa powder and let cool.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl whisk the applesauce, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Add maple mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, a toothpick inserted into the center should come out with moist crumbs still attached. Cool in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before slicing into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.