- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef round steak, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise and lightly toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise and garlic. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Preheat oven to 450°F.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Generously sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and saute until lightly browned. Stir in green pepper and onion and season with more salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender then remove from heat.
Spread each bun generously with garlic mayonnaise. Divide beef mixture into the buns. Top with provolone and sprinkle with oregano. Place sandwiches on a rimmed baking sheet and heat in oven until cheese is melted.