It's hot and bubbling, oozing with cheese, and full of the last of summer's mild tasting zucchini.
Recipe byTessa Arias
3large zucchini, sliced into 1/3-inch coins
1tablespoonextra-virgin olive oil
1/2cupparmesan cheese, grated and divided in half
1/4cupItalian bread crumbs
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1cupmarinara sauce, homemade or bottled
1/2cupmozzarella cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Blot zucchini coins with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place zucchini in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil, turning to coat each piece. In a separate bowl, combine half the parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
2. Dip each zucchini coin into the parmesan mixture, turning to coat and pressing the breading slightly to ensure it sticks. Place breaded zucchini coins in one even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until browned and crisp.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a small baking dish with marinara sauce. Layer one third of the crisp zucchini coins over marinara, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle zucchini layer with mozzarella and the remaining parmesan. Repeat the layers 3 times (or until the zucchini is gone, depending on the size of your baking dish) ending with a sprinkling of cheese.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Layered Zucchini Parmesan https://handletheheat.com/layered-zucchini-parmesan/ October 5, 2010