- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium celery rib, cut into quarters
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and quartered
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (1/4 cup of juice reserved)
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound large shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (I forgot this. Oops!)
In a food processor, pulse the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic until chopped fine, about six 1-second pulses, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Do not over-process.
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and add the andouille. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chopped vegetables, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice, salt, thyme, and cayenne, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, clam juice, broth, bay leaves, and browned sausage to the pot, stirring to combine. Remove and discard the skin from the chicken before adding back to the pot over the rice, skinned-side down. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir once, keeping the chicken on top, skinned-side down. Cover again and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate. Scatter the shrimp over the rice, cover, and continue to cook until the rice is tender and the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
While the shrimp cook, shred the chicken. When the shrimp are cooked, remove the pot from heat, discard the bay leaves, and stir in the parsley and shredded chicken. Serve immediately.