- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn, plus more for topping
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook as the package directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vodka, tomatoes and salt to taste. Return the skillet to medium heat and simmer, stirring often, until the alcohol cooks off, about 7 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and basil.
Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed. Season with salt. Serve topped with more parmesan and basil.