- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (7 ounces) peeled and grated carrots
- 1 large tart apple (like Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin or line with paper liners and coat the paper with nonstick spray.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut and walnuts. In a small bowl whisk the eggs, oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Stir into flour mixture until well incorporated.
Divide the batter evenly between muffin cups, filling each cup almost to the top. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean and the tops are nicely domed, 25-28 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove muffins to a wire rack and cool completely. Store for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.