This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork is fall apart, melt in your mouth tender and loaded with savory flavors. This recipe makes perfect BBQ sandwiches!
Last week I spent an afternoon at a local brewery watching the World Cup with a friend visiting from Germany. She happens to be a bonafide beer expert, a title that could never apply to me. I rarely drink beer and the only knowledge I have about the stuff comes from Jared. Yet at the brewery I sampled over three beers and enjoyed each one, to my surprise. I was inspired to incorporate beer into a recipe for July and that’s how this Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork came into existence in my kitchen!
If you’ve ever been to Phoenix during July then you know that some days it’s just too freakin’ hot to even stand outside near the grill. I love summer food, but want to stay cool while making it. This Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork is the perfect hot summer weeknight meal OR the perfect meal to serve at your next get-together. It won’t heat up your whole house like the oven will, and you don’t have to sweat over a flaming grill. It’s kind of perfect!
The best thing is that you don’t have to use this recipe to make BBQ sandwiches. You can use the pork on pizza, in tacos, burritos, empanadas, or enchiladas. To get more creative use the stuff inside queso dip, over mac & cheese, inside a baked potato, inside stuffed peppers, in a shepherd’s pie, or just about any way you like! If you do use this recipe for BBQ sandwiches, try pairing with my Homemade Hawaiian Bread Rolls as slider buns as pictured here, or my Pretzel Buns. You’ll thank me!
Taste: So savory and the beer works so well in this recipe.
Texture: Hands-down the best part. Ridiculously fork-tender yet meaty and satisfying.
Ease: Super easy, this can be in the slow cooker in five minutes. Perfect weeknight recipe OR food for company.
Pros: Easy, simple, scrumptious. Makes fantastic leftovers.
Would I make this again? Yes.
You Might Also Like:
- 1 (3.5 pound) boneless pork butt roast
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 ounces beer, such as a dark ale
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For BBQ Sandwiches:
- 2 cups barbecue sauce, plus more for serving
- Sandwich or slider buns
- Toppings of your choice such as onions, pickles
- Place the roast and onion in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Pour in the beer. Add the soy sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, or until fork tender. Time will vary by slow cooker.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Using two forks, pull the meat apart into shreds, discarding any fat. Strain the onions, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Return the shredded pork, onions, and reserved liquid to the slow cooker. Serve or make BBQ sandwiches.
For BBQ Sandwiches:
- Stir in the barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve on sandwiches between buns with toppings of your choice.