- 1/4 cup flour, plus more for rolling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 12-ounce bottle Guinness (or other stout)
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in refrigerator
In a large bowl or zip-top bag, combine flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.Toss the beef in the flour mixture to coat. Transfer mixture (including flour) to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add carrots, onion, potatoes, garlic, and thyme. Slowly pour in the Guinness and then stir in the beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. On a lightly floured work surface, roll puff pastry sheet into a 10x14-inch rectangle. Put on prepared baking sheet and bake 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and cut into quarters. Serve with stew.