This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
This crowd-pleasing Bacon Cheddar Bites recipe is a super simple and easy appetizer that’s perfect for any occasion.
I’ve mentioned it before during past Super Bowl recipe posts but I’ll mention it again, I don’t care about football. At all. I can’t even pretend to, I just have no interest in it. Sometimes I can watch a few minutes of a really intense game or a roundup of the best plays of the week but to watch an entire game from start to finish sounds almost torturous to me. I can appreciate the skill and athleticism that goes into the sport but I think the thing that makes me want to leave the room whenever a game is on the TV is that there is SO MUCH down time where nothing is actually happening. Not to mention the noise of the announcers telling you what is right in front of your own eyes. Don’t get me started on the salaries these players make. Ridiculousness. Funnily enough, I was a Pop Warner cheerleader as a tween and had to learn all about the game. That knowledge is pretty useless to me now. I know many people completely disagree with me and will eagerly dedicate each Sunday during the season to watching as many games as possible. Not me!! I really don’t get it.
The Super Bowl is a whole different beast. I can get behind Super Bowl food. Who doesn’t like straight-forward indulgent finger foods and appetizers? This Sunday I’ll be enjoying the food as opposed to yelling at the TV or watching what will likely be sexist advertisements geared towards men even though many women watch the game.
Taste: You cannot beat the combination of bacon and cheddar, but when you add the savory taste of onion and the tangy bite of cream cheese your taste buds will thank you.
Texture: The fillo is comprised of layers of crunch while the filling is rich and cheesy.
Ease: Just a handful of ingredients combined and dolloped into premade fillo cups. They can even be reheated so you can make them ahead of time. I love to oven-fry my bacon, which makes the prep even simpler.
Appearance: Cute and portable, perfect finger food for a party.
Pros: Easy, tasty, crowd-pleasing.
Cons: None, really.
Would I make this again? Yes!
- 1 (15 count) package frozen miniature fillo shells, defrosted
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set the fillo cups on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spoon about a tablespoon of the cheese mixture into each fillo cup.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the fillo is slightly golden. Serve hot. Make ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a 350°F oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until hot.