- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup wheat beer
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated smoked gouda cheese
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, and whisk together until a thick and clumpy paste (roux) forms and the raw flour cooks out, about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in the milk. Continue whisking until it slightly thickens, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the remaining ingredients.
Remove the cheese dip from heat and pour into a serving dish. Allow to cool slightly to thicken. Serve warm.
Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Heat over stovetop or in the microwave before serving again.