This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
4 ingredients. 5 minute prep time. Can be made ahead. SUPER CRUSTY.
This crusty bread roll recipe is truly a beautiful thing. I have tried a lot of recipes for crusty bread rolls but most require time-consuming or complicated pre-ferments, starters, or rising instructions. That’s all fine for me because I spend so much time in the kitchen, but I know most of you need recipes that are as quick and easy as possible. Especially around the holiday season when there’s so much else to make and do.
Be sure to check out the video below so you can see exactly how these rolls come together. I also share some of my favorite baking tips and explain how to achieve that crusty texture. I’ve included different make-ahead options within the printable recipe too.
- 2 1/2 cups (11.3 ounces) bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) lukewarm water
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients. Stir until the mixture is thick and sticky. No kneading is necessary!
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until puffy and bubbly on top, about 3 hours. MAKE AHEAD: Alternatively, you can also let the dough rise overnight in the fridge.
- Using a scraper, fold the dough over about 12 times, adding enough flour so that it doesn’t stick. Use the scraper to cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Flour your hands before shaping each piece into a ball.
- Place the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a clean towel. Let rise until puffy, about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- MAKE AHEAD: Store bread rolls in a container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month and re-crisp in a 325°F oven for 5 minutes from room temperature or about 15 minutes from frozen.